Conferences & Venues
In addition to the AASHTO annual and spring meetings, national conferences that often attract active transportation planners, engineers, and advocates include the following:
- Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting – largest transportation-focused professional meeting, including several committees and numerous sessions focused on bicycle and pedestrian travel.
- ProWalk/ProBike/ProPlace – biannual meeting focused on active transportation and placemaking, attracting 1,000 professionals to their meetings.
- APBP Professional Development Seminar – biannual meeting focused on biking and walking, featuring more limited attendance and longer, more in-depth sessions.
- NACTO Designing Cities Conference – annual meeting of the National Association of City Transportation Officials, with a focus on urban street design. Relevant for guidebook sections related to street design.
- Rail~volution –annual meeting focused on transit and placemaking, with an increasing focus on bicycle and pedestrian travel.
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) annual and regional meetings – broad based group of traffic and civil engineers working in transportation with broad agendas.
- New Partners for Smart Growth – annual meeting of primarily land use professionals focused on smart growth.
- Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) – annual meeting of professionals focused on ‘new urbanist’ development practices, with a focus on transit-oriented development.
- National Bike Summit – annual meeting gathering bicycling advocates and transportation professionals, organized by The League of American Bicyclists.